Contact River House



Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message


Foreign Visitors to River House in British Columbia, Canada

Find out what you need to visit Canada as a tourist or business person, how to extend your stay in Canada and what documents you need to carry with you to transit through Canada.

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid visa. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.
If you travel before March 15, 2016, you do not need an eTA but you can still apply for one. For now, make sure you travel with acceptable travel documents and identification, such as a valid passport.

Basic Requirements to Enter Canada

  • Have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • Be in good health,
  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions,
  • Convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
    have enough money for your stay.

Buying Canadian Property

There are no restrictions for non-residents purchasing real estate in Canada, though they may become subject to Canadian income tax laws, and will encounter the following taxes on your transaction:

Property Transfer Tax (British Columbia) – The tax rate is one per cent on the first $200,000 of the property’s fair market value and two per cent on the remaining fair market value. For more information, visit the Government of British Columbia’s Property Taxation Branch’s website at

Contact River House Owners:

Ed and Judith Wright who are US citizens that purchased in Canada.  They can answer many of the questions you may have or refer you to their Canadian sources.